Mia Thermopolis, portrayed by Anne Hathaway, is the lovable and relatable protagonist of the classic film "The Princess Diaries". Her transformation from a quirky, awkward high school student to a poised and graceful princess has captured the hearts of many viewers. This Halloween, why not channel your inner Mia and create a costume that pays homage to her character? Here's a guide to the key items you'll need to create your own Mia Thermopolis costume:
The Princess Diaries Costume
You will need the following items for your Mia Thermopolis Halloween costume:
- Plaid Pleated Mini Skirt
- Long-Sleeve Classic-Fit Oxford Shirt
- Black 2 Button Blazer
- Retro Skinny Necktie
- Knee High Black Socks
- Women's Pandora Oxford
- Retro Oval Sunglasses for Women
- Silver Crystal Tiara Crown
- Maxell 190319 Stereo Headphone
- Classic Wood Handle Umbrella
In Disney's 2001 film The Princess Diaries, Mia Thermopolis is the main character. She is the Crown Princess of Genovia, and will later become its queen. Once a normal girl, she discovered that she was the princess of a royal family and had to decide if she could become a true princess.
Get the look of Mia Thermopolis by dressing up in a 80s—90s schoolgirl out, a plaid skirt, white oxford shirt, black blazer and black oxford shoes.
How To Dress Like Mia Thermopolis From The Princess Diaries
- Plaid Pleated Mini Skirt: Mia's school uniform features a classic plaid skirt, which is an essential part of the costume. Look for a pleated mini skirt in a traditional plaid pattern, like red or blue.
- Long-Sleeve Classic-Fit Oxford Shirt: The school uniform shirt worn by Mia is a classic-fit oxford shirt in white. Look for one with a button-down collar for an authentic look.
- Black 2 Button Blazer: Over the shirt, Mia wears a black blazer with two buttons. This is a key piece that completes the school uniform look.
- Retro Skinny Necktie: To add a touch of vintage charm to the costume, wear a retro skinny necktie in a bold color, like red or blue.
- Knee High Black Socks: Mia's school uniform also includes knee-high black socks. These are a must-have to complete the outfit.
- Women's Pandora Oxford: For footwear, look for a pair of classic women's oxford shoes in black. These will perfectly complement the school uniform.
- Retro Oval Sunglasses for Women: Mia is often seen sporting a pair of retro oval sunglasses. Look for a similar style to add a touch of coolness to the outfit.
- Silver Crystal Tiara Crown: To represent Mia's transformation into a princess, wear a silver crystal tiara crown. This will add a touch of glamour to the costume.
- Vintage Stereo Headphone: In the movie, Mia is often seen listening to music on a pair of vintage stereo headphones. This is a fun accessory that will make your costume stand out.
- Classic Wood Handle Umbrella: Finally, to complete the look, carry a classic wood handle umbrella. This is a nod to the iconic scene in the movie where Mia takes shelter from the rain under an umbrella.
With these key items, you can create a Mia Thermopolis costume that is sure to impress. Don't forget to practice Mia's signature awkward smile and quirky mannerisms to really bring the character to life.
Mia Thermopolis Cosplay
As Mia Thermopolis, you can channel her awkward yet charming personality. Walk with a bit of a slouch and keep your hands in your pockets or fidget with your outfit to showcase her endearing nervous energy. Speak softly and don't be afraid to trip up your words a bit. Take any opportunity to display your love for books or show off your artistic side by sketching or painting. And don't forget to flash your tiara crown and give a regal wave whenever you get the chance, as Mia eventually embraces her role as a princess. Have fun with the character and enjoy the party!
Mia Thermopolis Halloween Costume
Mia is a common outsider in the high school social hierarchy. She had bushy hair and wore thick glasses. She doesn’t have a good sense of fashion, which makes her look bad and makes her reputation worse.
But what Mia is not aware of is that she has a willing grandmother who is more than willing to turn her into the beautiful swan that she is. She must become a princess to be able to do that.